Health and Safety Unit
The University of Kurdistan Hewlêr’s Health and Safety Unit (H&S Unit) promotes a safe and healthy environment in the University. In other words, promoting and maintaining the highest degree of the physical, mental and social well-being of students, staffs, and visitors of the UKH by preventing departures from health, controlling risks and the adaptation of work to them - application of preventive medicine in all aspects of employment.
What is Health?
“Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely an absence of disease or infirmity” (WHO, 1948).
Health is regarded as a basic human right as well as a human need that should be available to everyone in the community.
What is Disease?
A disease occurs as an interaction between agent, host and environment.
H&S Unit’s Functions:
- Pre-employment medical examination (staff and student).
- First Aid and Emergency Services.
- Supervision of the work environment for the control of dangerous substances and supervision of sanitation, hygiene and canteen facilities.
- Special periodic medical examinations.
- Health education for disseminating information on specific hazards and risks in the work environment.
- Maintenance of medical records for medical check-up and follow-up for maintaining healthy standards.
- Assist in creating a safe and healthy workplace in the University
H&S Unit Practical Training Service Available:
- First Aid.
- Fire Prevention and Safety.
- Electrical Safety.
- Safety in the Laboratory.
- Medical Hygiene.
- Food Health and Hygiene.
- Environmental Safety and Protection.
- Dental Hygiene.
The following risks will all be assessed by the Unit:
- Physical risks.
- Chemical risks.
- Biological risk.
- Mechanical risks.
- Falling and slipping risk.
- Electrical and fire risk.
- Food and water pollution risk.
UKH campus clinic.
Through the support of the Vice Chancellor, The University
of Kurdistan Hewlêr’s Health and Safety Unit (H&S Unit) has established a
medical clinic inside the academic building at ground floor that is managed by
a certified medical doctor which offers the following services for students and
Providing medical counseling.
Checking vital signs and explaining their importance for human
beings which includes (blood pressure; pulse rate; oxygen saturation in blood;
random blood sugar; checking core body temperature)
Management of medical cold cases.
Measurement of Body Mass Index (BMI) and explaining the results
in a scientific way and giving advice in case of abnormal result.
Management of emergency medical cases and transferring the cases
to emergency hospital should they require higher medical intervention.
The clinic has a pharmacy box that contains most of the
Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs plus emergency drugs.
The clinic also has first aid materials with a patient bed.