Vision and Mission
Center for Regional and International Studies (CRIS) is an independent research center based in Kurdistan Region of Iraq. CRIS aims to build human capital in the Kurdistan Region of Iraq, to secure research funding for the benefit of the region and the country, and to raise UKH's profile within the international academic research community.
To have UKH involvement in nation building and good governance processes that will benefit the region and the country.
To advocate and initiate multidisciplinary research, academic dialog among local and international researchers and experts, and establish institutional partnerships.
To provide rigorous, independent, and objective research and analytics.
Politics and International Relations
Economics, Energy, and Environment
To implement CRIS’s goal, it is vital to identify research topics that are of the outmost relevance and importance to the KRI’s national development and to its national interests.
- Research: The aim is to provide policy advice to the KRG relevant bodies through the aid of local and international senior researchers. CRIS wants to attract respected and well-known international researchers to contribute to CRIS’s output. These efforts are vital for achieving our vision, mission, and goals.
- Institutional Partnerships: International collaboration has become an indispensable prerequisite to higher education. CRIS expands inter-institutional linkages by targeting academic organizations and think-tanks in countries across the globe. Its long-term objective is the development of strategic international partnerships that will serve CRIS’ vision and the KRI’s national interests.
- Publications: CRIS seeks to reach out to the wider public and to its partners by maintaining and publishing a quarterly academic journal in various hardcopy and online formats.
- Polling Reports: CRIS aims to approach respectable and professional organizations that analyze polling data and prepare in-depth reports. This will assist with CRIS’ efforts to understand the dynamic evolution of KRI’s public opinion and its various constituencies. CRIS intends to give respondents a voice by enabling them to speak for themselves, rather than relying exclusively on established media sources claiming to speak on behalf of the entire KRI civil society. Conducting such in-depth interviews and opinion polls will provide citizens, who do not usually have access to the media, an opportunity to directly express their opinions, concerns, needs, and hopes for the future.
- Conferences and presentations: CRIS’ Conferences and Presentations Program aims to promote collaboration between researchers at UKH and their peers and colleagues both at home and abroad, by exposing researchers and students to new research directions, important academic findings, and innovative education methodologies. CRIS’ mandate covers activities such as convening meetings of relevant experts who will discuss matters pertaining to KRI’s national interests. It also provides excellent opportunities for faculty and students to expand and diversify their research areas and individual projects. The proposed annual conference is planned to be in May 2017.